Sunday, June 9, 2013

Roasted Garlic and Scallion dip

Place 1 head of garlic (conventional, because we had it on hand) on a sheet of foil; drizzle with 2 tsp. olive oil (pecan oil) and seal.
Roast at 400 degrees until tender, 40-45 minutes; unwrap and let cool.
Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor.
Puree with 8 ounces cream cheese (creole cream cheese) at room temperature and 1/4 C. milk (Kleinpeter) until smooth. Stir in 4 thinly sliced scallions.
Season with salt & pepper. (I only used Locavore salt; no pepper)

Makes 1 1/4 cups.

Serve with sweet potato chips (see recipe from 2012 post), bread from your favorite local bakery, or conventional crackers. I have yet to find a successful recipe for crackers, so we will likely make crostinis from Hollygrove or Gracious Bakery baguettes.
This comes out with a strong roasted garlic flavor, which is a good thing in my book, but may be a bit shocking to others.
Becase the characteristics of creole cheese are different from conventional cream cheese, the 1/4 C. milk seems to me to be too much; it made the dip a little thinner than I'd like it to be. I recommend less milk and more cream cheese. Next time, I may also add some Ryals goat cheese for variety and thickness.

From Real Simple

(I didn't realize I had so many recipes from Real Simple; I rarely read it)

No comments:

Post a Comment