Sunday, June 10, 2012

Locavore in New Mexico

OK, so taking care of my dad, my parent's house, the dog and my mom's beautiful garden in New Mexico the first week in June did not lend itself well to blogging about food choices. However, I did try to maintain the 200 mile radius from Las Cruces, and found a vat of great honey, local Tucumcari cheeses, bountiful local vegetables, local breads, and the best in the world local green chiles. I bought locally-roasted coffee at local coffee shops and purchased wines from a local winery (St. Clair's; it is quite good).

The Mountain View Market Co-op, of which my parents have been members since the beginning, has its own farm and enjoys good local support. I told them about our locavore challenge and one of the employees launched into an empassioned speech about the food choices at Jazz Fest!



The Brookhaven Farm labels their chicken eggs with the hen number so you can get to know the hen that produced your delicious breakfast. I ate a lot of fantastic fried eggs from hens 26 and 27 and toast from a local bakery for breakfastr and fresh salads for lunch.




Our friends took us out to dinner most nights, so I had local green chilis and hand-made tortillas. I didn't inquire about the source of the cheese and rice and beans, but all were local restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment