Sunday, June 24, 2012

Wheat Berries from Carencro

I picked up 3 pounds of wheat berries a couple of weeks ago at the Locavore swap during the OCH art market. I had never purchased a wheat berry before so I have had to research the cooking and serving of the berry of the wheat.
There are many opinions about how to cook it. I opted for the Joy of Cooking way. They say, berries that have been soaked for at least 8 hours cook in half the time, so I went for that.

Their directions:
Soak 1/2 C. of wheat, kamut, or spelt berries; cover with water by at least 2 inches.
Let stand overnight.
Drain if needed (if the water is dirty, it is recommended it be drained - I drained)
Add to 4 C. boiling salted water.
Gently simmer, uncovered, until tender but still chewy, 45 - 60 minutes. Drain.


And they are ready to be added to salads, stews or other dishes. Stay tuned for my use of the tasty (tender, but still chewy) wheat berries. I still have about half the bag, so I will continue searching for more recipes.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment