Monday, June 25, 2012

Zesty Wheat Berry Black Bean Chili

This recipe comes from EatingWell, but it has been highly altered to meet the locavore regulations. Here is the link to the original recipe:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/zesty_wheat_berry_black_bean_chili.html

The recipe below is what I used to make the locavore version I am serving to 8 guests this evening. I reduced the amount of chili powder and peppers because it was a little too spicy. I love hot, but my husband and my guests are less enamored of tearing up during dinner due to tasty heat.
The ground spices are my locavore cheat (but I already had them in the cupboard). I'm not sure if Blue Runner canned beans from Rouse's count as a cheat under the Strict rules, but that is what I chose. You can substitule any local bean.

Ingredients

2 T. oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 t. chili powder (I used 1 1/2 t.)
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
2 16 oz. cans Blue Runner black beans
2 creole tomatoes, diced, lightly sauteed (called for cans)
1/4 C. diced hot peppers, lighlty sauteed (a variety of sizes and heats from the pepper people at the markets; add more peppers if you like a hotter chili)
2 C. vegetable broth (made from Hollygrove carrots, carrot tops and onions plus a few sweet potato shards)
2 t. honey
2 C. wheat berries (recipe posted yesterday)
Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
1/2 C. fresh cilantro
1 avocado (I omitted this, but only because I had to)

Preparation

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper) and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes, hot peppers, broth and honey.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in cooked wheat berries and heat through, about 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat.
Stir in lemon juice.
Garnish each bowl with avocado and cilantro.


My husband and I both love this hearty bowl of chili. The guests will have to opine later. We will serve it with a salad of greens from Hollygrove, pecans and blueberries with a Steen's vinegar and pecan oil dressing and a few goat cheese crumbles. For dessert: 2 types of New Orleans ice cream, dried cherries from Portland, and green chili pistachio brittle from New Mexico (which were local when I bought them earlier this month).


No comments:

Post a Comment