Sunday, June 19, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

This recipe was posted by the Sankofa Farmers Market on the NOLA Locavore site under for the week of June 11th. The full recipe is below, but I just made half of it, which is still a lot for just two people. I think the leftover wedges will be good for breakfast for the week.

Breakfast Casserole
adapted from Sankofa Farmers Market
Ingredients
18 eggs (HG)
2-3 Tbs cream, half and half, or milk (Smith Creamery)
1 lb mushroom, washed and sliced (HG)
1 leek, sliced and halved (not in the original, but I had a leek, so I added it) (HG)
1 Tbs olive oil (TX)
2 C crumbled goat cheese (Ryal's) (called for feta)
salt and pepper to taste (I added a little more salt since I wasn't using feta, no pepper)

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Grease 9x13 casserole dish with butter or oil
3.  Saute mushrooms and leeks in olive oil until they are softened but not completely cooked, about 5 minutes.
4.  Drain mushrooms and leeks if there is liquid in the pan, then spread evenly over the bottom of the casserole dish.
5.  Crumble feta (goat cheese) over mushrooms and leeks.
6.  Beat eggs with cream, salt (and pepper - I didn't use any pepper)
7.  Pour egg mixture over mushrooms, leeks, and cheese, then stir with a fork to make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed in the egg mixture.
8.  Bake 45 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is starting to brown.
Serves 8-10

I over-cooked it a little, but it was still very tasty. I highly recommend it. I used a round. ceramic casserole, so served them in wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment