Sunday, June 19, 2011

Brown Rice Crackers

My first total failure of the month (not bad for a rookie that I can make it 18 days before my first inedible bomb). I will try them again, because there was some user error in the process. When the timer rang and I checked on them the last time, I closed the over door, turned off the oven, then promptly forgot to take the baking sheet and the crackers out of the oven as I busied myself with other kitchen tasks. They sat in the oven for another 30-40 minutes after I turned the oven off. I am guessing that is why they were turned into greasy little tooth-shattering, cement-like wafers.
I'll share the recipe anyway, because they definitely have the potential to be good. I have been pining away for crackers; I hadn't realized the extent of my cracker problem until I tried to go without.

Brown Rice Crackers
adapted from Cathe Olson recipe
Ingredients
1 1/2 C Papa Tom's white rice flour (CCFM) (called for brown rice flour)
2/3 C cooked brown rice (HG)
1 Tbs flax seeds (optional - I opted not to)
1/4 tsp sea salt (needs a little more)
1/4 C oil (I used pecan)
1/3 to 1/2 C water

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Lightly oil large baking sheet. In bowl or food processor, mix flour, rice, fax seeds, salt and oil until combined. Add water a little at a time until dough holds together. Pour onto floured surface and knead a few times to form a ball. Press or roll dough on baking sheet. Score into 1 1/2-inch squares. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool before removed from pan.
Makes about 3 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. This sounds like a great recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete