Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scavenger Hunt for Ingredients

I went to the Becnel Farmer's Market (it goes by various names) in Belle Chasse on Monday because I heard they had local oranges and locally made juices and I was hoping for some peaches. I miss a lot since I work Saturday mornings. They don't carry peaches because they require refrigeration. However, one of their 2 refrigerators is full of locally-made sausages of many varieties and flavors.
They did not have any juices and they did not have any local oranges or Valencia oranges. They did have what the woman told me were local lemons. They had no tag claiming they were from anywhere else, so I took her for her word and bought 6 of them. I brought them home and squeezed the juice into an old plastic ice tray; 5 lemons = 12 mini cubes of frozen lemon juice. Not having any immediate need for the rinds, I composted them. I saved one lemon for zesting or other needs, just in case.
How does one figure out the labelling on produce? All the other produce at this market had a tag proclaiming its origins: avocados from Mexico, oranges from Florida, bananas from South America. The lemons, watermelons and creole tomatoes had no little sticky tags, no identifying markers. I encountered the same thing at Dorignac's tonight. I had heard through the locavore grapevine that the Valencia oranges at Dorignac's were within our 200-mile radius. The sign said Produce of the USA, but there was no little sticky tag on each piece of fruit; same with the lemons. Are there laws that regulate these tags? Does no tag mean locally-sourced? I have no idea. I didn't buy any produce at Dorignac's because I couldn't verify the origins.
But I did finally find Steen's Cane Vinegar thanks to a diligent Dorignac's employee who walked me through the oil and vinegar and specialty aisles before flagging down a stock person who honed right in on it. Our arugula salad tonight appreciated it.
I loved the market in Belle Chasse and recommend the 20-minute trip to get there. It is on Belle Chasse Highway (Louisiana 23) across from the Naval Air Station and the blue angel plane in perpetual flight. Apart from fresh local and not-so-local produce, they have a plethora of sauces and dressings and other concoctions (including tamales kept warm behind the counter). I got a jar of sweet potato pecan butter (origins of ingredients unknown, but it is locally produced) and peach butter (ditto). The staff is very friendly and the market was overflowing with local watermelons and creole tomatoes. But what will make me go back are the 5-7 foot citrus trees of various types for sale: kumquats, lemons, oranges, and grapefruits. They look healthy and full and are already producing citrus. My yard needs a couple.
It was a great trip. I recommend an adventure down to the parish for some citrus trees. After June you can stop at one of the hole-in-the-wall cajun seafood restaurants for a locally cooked treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment