Friday, June 10, 2011

Fantastic Okra recipe

I have had trouble with the sliminess of okra in the past; it has never been my favorite vegetable. I have tolerated it in gumbos, or eaten around it when it was too slimy. Then a pound of okra appeared as a part of the Holly Grove weekly allotment at the beginning of this challenge. In times past, the Holly Grove okra has gone to my sister-in-law or to my mother-in-law, who are from the South, so must know what to do with it.
Not this time. I did my okra homework and found a recipe with rave reviews that was easy and fast and simple. To wit (with a spice cheat):
Easy Indian Style Okra
from allrecipes.com, submitted by Caligal76

Ingredients
3 T butter (Smsith's Creamery)
1 medium onion (Rouse's)
1 pound sliced fresh okra (not sliced in wheels, but diagonally) (HG)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (I used white, because we didn't have black)
salt to taste

Directions
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender. Stir in the okra, and season with the spices.
Cook and stir for a few minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover.
Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until okra is tender.

It was really delicious in an uncomplicated way. My husband raved, I was amazed at how much I liked it and it wasn't even a little bit slimy. I served it with local rice and an arugula salad with pecans and blueberries (dressing: pecan and olive oil with white balsamic vinegar [cheat], honey, and salt). My husband may never cook again. This experiment could ruin my cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment